Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dr. Griffin

Dear Dr. Griffin,

I dedicated this blog to you because you provided me with a fountain of new inspiration. I take you twice a day, three days a week. I enter your class never knowing what I'm going to experience. But each day I enter, I enter with some form of anticipation. You are the reason I decided to stay an English major. Last semester I was so insecure in my abilities to be an English major yet alone a college student. Your class inspired me and your interest in my thoughts that were seen as radical in every other classroom. On my first paper you told me I had great ideas and was a good writer. Those few words changed me and provided me with the confidence to strive for excellence that semester. I was so in love with your teaching style and interest in students that I requested to take you the next semester. Your classes are more than just English courses, your classes provide me with courage to move on. You never allow me to do less than my best and are constantly questioning my views. This may not seem as a lot but to a student, that is use to achieving things easily with little explanation what you do is needed. Your talk on Monday touched me and helped me realize that I need to leave my comfort zone. I have a fear of reaching for higher achievement because I never know how good I may be. I'm not afraid that I'm too stupid but instead I'm afraid that I may be smart enough. When we started our talk, I was discouraged and had no idea what I really wanted to do. Your words of encouragement and a sense of believing that I possessed the talent to succeed, helped. Knowing that someone has faith in me and hopes that I do well is a great feeling. So I just want to thank you for constantly never accepting average from me and believing that I have a bright future. Overall, thank you for being more than a professor to a student. Thanks for seeing what I'm too afraid to try to see and letting me know that I can do better and achieve more if I just believe in myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment