Sunday, September 18, 2011

Stop the Violence Amongst Young People

On Thursday night around 8 o'clock I lost a friend to senseless violence. Domonique Fraizer was stabbed to death by her roommate at Bowie State University because of how loud she was playing her iPod. I found out through twitter and couldn't believe it. All of sudden my timeline went from Scared Straight tweets to astonishment that our friend had died. She was tweeting just four hours ago and within that time so much happen.

I have seen on the news of many deaths throughout my lifetime but only two hit home because they went to my school. But this hit home in such a different way. Last February I was put in the same situation. I was in an argument with a friend and as a result she tried to stab me with a pair of scissors. When I found out how she had died I was filled with sorrow and gratefulness. Mainly because she lost her life to unnecessary violence but me being no different from her my life was spared.

I know many may not believe in Jesus but at the moment all I could think about was thanking him. I also asked him to keep her family safe and sane. With this happening it hit her mother hard like any death of a child. See when people die we morn for a while but the parents and family members forever morn because something that came from them is no longer there. Way after the calls, cards, facebook and twitter pages stop bursting with "I Miss You's" her mother will still be sicken to the idea of her child being gone.

So I ask that everyone who reads this does three things: Keep Dominique's family in your prayers, tell the people you love you love them, and be an advocate for stopping unnecessary violence amongst young people.

Happy 19th Birthday Dominique Frazier!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment