Sunday, February 6, 2011

Black History at HBCU's

I attend one of the greatest HBCU's in my eyes; Elizabeth City State University. I love my university dearly and know my success will come from attending an university as such. But I have noticed over the past five days that BLACK HISTORY isn't mentioned in any of my classes. I am an English major and all of my classes right now are based on European literature. However, I take one American Literature course and were discussing Mark Twain. My professor is African American and the class is 90 percent African American. So why wouldn't we discuss some of the great or unmentioned American authors and poets. I know there are many out there beside Hughes, Neal-Hurston, Angelou, or Morrison.

The point I'm trying to make is, that since I was in elementary school Black History Month has gone unnoticed. We go through out the month never acknowledging our history. And when I say our I don't mean just African Americans. It annoys me when I hear my friends and others say we have the shortest month in the year, but we still do nothing with it. Each day has 24 hours and you have 1440 minutes to make an impact. I think everyone including myself should take the next 22 days to acknowledge African Americans that have made an impact in the world and lets research the ones that aren't mentioned. They're usually the radical ones. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment